A short walk from the Marriott Marquis at 450 W 31st St # 7, EverGreene Architectural Art Studios is hosting experts in the trades that are most commonly needed in the restoration of buildings in New York City and other metropolitan areas. Come over any time on Monday to watch hands-on technical demonstrations and ask questions of our talented presenters.
||8:30 – 9:30
||Michael Kramer, The Gilders’ Studio
||9:30 – 10:30
||Jason Church, NCPTT
||10:30 – 11:30
||Art Femenella, Femenella Assoc.
||11:30 – 12:30
||Lime / Mortar
||Dan Tyler, Deerpath Construction
||12:30 – 1:30
|| 1:30 – 2:30
||Richard Barrow, EverGreene
||2:30 – 3:30
||Rudy Christian, Christian & Sons
||3:30 – 4:30
||Metal / Tin Knocking
||Cameron Forbes, Heather & Little
About The Presenters:
Rudy Christian, Christian & Son, Inc., Burbank, OH
- Rudy Christian will demonstrate wood repair and traditional fabrication techniques. Rudy is an expert timber framer, and founder of Christian and Son, Inc., who has worked to promote historic buildings and the trades by which they were constructed, He is actively involved in trades education and is former executive director of the Preservation Trades Network (PTN).
Cameron Forbes, Heather & Little, Markham, Ontario, Canada
- Sheet metal is one of those materials that is prevalent in historic buildings but rarely used in modern architecture. Heather & Little will give participants a rare, up close view of tin knocking. Heather & Little Ltd., is a fabricator of custom ornamental sheet metal for historic restoration throughout North America.
Jason Church, National Center for Preservation Technology & Training (NCPTT), Natchitoches, LA
- The repair and restoration of masonry buildings and outdoor sculpture is a large part of the preservation field. Jason Church will demonstrate reinforced repairs of stone, how to choose pinning materials, adhesives, drilling, and piecing the stone together. Jason is a materials conservator in the materials conservation program at the National Park Service’s National Center for Preservation Technology and Training (NCPTT) and an expert in stone repairs.
Michael Kramer, The Gilders Studio, Olney, MD
- Michael Kramer will demonstrate gilding techniques as pertinent to the preservation field. Michael, founder of The Gilders Studio, is an expert in gilding and coatings systems for all types of metal, stone and fiberglass, both interior and exterior.
Dan Tyler, Deerpath Construction Corporation, Union, NJ
- Exterior preservation projects seem to begin and end with mortar. This session will demonstrate the correct methods of raking and repointing a building with particular emphasis on the use of lime mortars. Deerpath has repointed many of New York’s greatest landmarks.
Richard Barrow, Evergreene Architectural Arts, New York
- EverGreene Architectural Arts will demonstrate the art of ornamental plastering. EverGreene has worked to preserve and recreate historic plastering techniques to ensure the survival of a significant historic building trade. EverGreene has used these plastering techniques to restore many of the countries finest structures.
Art Femenella, Femenella Associates, Brandhburg, NJ
- Stained glass windows are beautiful but, like everything else, they don’t last forever. Femenella Associates will demonstrate techniques for the preservation of stained glass windows.
Arthur Femenella, founder of Femenella Associates, has more than 38 years of experience conserving complex and artistically important stained glass windows and wood frames.